Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 2003 15:17:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
To:        kientzle@acm.org
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/loader compiled with NOFORTH

On 26 Apr, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 04:49:21PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
>>>Does bzip2 really buy us that much more space than
>>>gzip in this case?
>>
>> ... saves us 50-60K of space on 1.44MB floppies.
>

> People still use 1.44MB floppies?  I don't
> even have floppy drives in my PCs anymore.

I've got one machine here that won't boot from CDROM unless a floppy
drive is installed.  The BIOS complains about the lack of a floppy drive
unless the floppy is disabled in the BIOS.  If the floppy is disabled in
the BIOS, it also seems to disable recognition of the El Torito boot
image on the CDROM.  If I install a floppy drive, I can boot directly
from the CDROM.

On the other hand, I've got another machine that doesn't have either.  I
use PXE to boot and do an automatic installation.

> Perhaps it's time to demote the boot floppies
> to second-class status.  People who can't boot
> from CD-ROM don't need driver support for the
> newest, fanciest hardware in the installation
> kernel.

That's true.