Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 1996 04:07:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to people feel about adding an AUTHOR convention to ports?

 * > Besides, how exactly are you planning to use it?  The author can be a
 *
 * Just as an info field - I'd like to be able to remember where I got a
 * port from at a glance, basically.

Well, I wouldn' object that, but don't really think it's useful enough
to be in the Makefile.  Maybe we can recommend porters put some words
about the author(s) at the top of the DESCR file?  Something like
this:

===
This is superbasic, the fastest BASIC interpreter in the world
designed by Dr. Kwick Mach III (machiii@superbasic.com) of Germany.

The superbasic interpreter is ...
===

 * If nobody else is enthusiastic, I hope there will be no objection if I
 * use it in my own port submissions?

If it's going to be used by the web page or some other ports
mechanism, it should be discussed and agreed upon before it can be
used in the Makefile.  If it's not, then it doesn't belong to the
Makefile.

Satoshi