Date:      08 Jan 1999 13:34:32 -0500
From:      Matt Curtin <cmcurtin@interhack.net>
To:        Charlie Sorsby <crs@hgo.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "memory exhausted" error????

Charlie Sorsby <crs@hgo.net> writes:

> PC% sudo diff -r /var.226 /home.215
> diff: memory exhausted

This means that your memory is tired and wants to sleep(3).  :-)

Actually, you probably really are running out of memory.  Note:

> have 48MB of memory and, I think, plenty of swap:
>
> PC% swapinfo
> Total           687872        0   687872     0%

> PC% df -k
> Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/sd0s2g    653279    43890   557127     7%    /home.215
> /dev/sd1s1f    127151    43890    73089    38%    /var.226

The filesystems here are smaller than available swap, but not by
much.

The "memory exhausted" error is printed when a malloc fails, i.e.,
diff tries to allocate more memory, but cannot.

> Clearly, /proc is full but I don't know enough about that to know
> if that is the problem or not nor do I know what to do about it if
> it is.  I can't recall if /proc normally is shown to be full or
> not but it seems to me that it is.

Yes, /proc should look full.

> Since I've never used this tape drive before, I should very much
> like to verify that my experimental dump/restore was successful
> before I entrust my /home file system to it before installing 2.2.8
> and re-organizing my disks.

You could compare results of MD5 hashes...

Hope that helps.

--
Matt Curtin cmcurtin@interhack.net http://www.interhack.net/people/cmcurtin/