Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 20:49:12 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        "Kenneth J. Monville" <desmo@bandwidth.org>
Cc:        Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What string to filter FreeBSD lists?

>  On Tue, Jul 22, 1997 at 06:26:20PM -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
>  > Could anyone share with me what strings they use to filter their
>  > FreeBSD lists.
>  > I have tried a few things, but every now an then messages go
>  > unfiltered..
>
>  I use procmail to filter my mail, this is an example entry:
>  :0:
>  * ^From.owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
>  IN.chat
>
>  It is using the first line in the header to filter the mail based on sender.

Yep, I've found that ^From is the most reliable method of filtering
with procmail, but it assumes that this line is preserved right into
the mailbox (ie. the envelope arrives intact). This works with the
bulk of mailing list software, and even allows cleanly distinguishing
between private replies and replies to the list.

Pop users, for example, won't have this luxury (fetchmail, popclient
or similar), where the From_ line is not transmitted, but for local
re-delivery is derived via a heuristic which uses other headers and
may not be exactly right.

Regards,
david

--
David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet