Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 2021 15:32:49 -0500
From:      Doug McIntyre <merlyn@geeks.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BIND 'max-cache-size' Value on FreeBSD-13.0

On Thu, Sep 02, 2021 at 10:13:23AM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
> Ever since we moved from BIND-9.11 to BIND-9.16, we've been experiencing
> 'named' crashing after 24hrs - 36hrs on high-load resolver-only servers,
> running on FreeBSD-13.0.
> We found that the reason for this was due to BIND running out of swap space.

I remember a while back on an older specific version of BIND, that
there was a memory cache leakage bug in BIND specificly on FreeBSD
and no other OS; that I filed a ticket with ISC on.

They were able to identify it and fix it on the next version.

I'm running BIND 9.16 but still mostly back on FreeBSD 12.2.