Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 2013 16:32:12 -0400
From:      Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
To:        Remko Lodder <remko@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org" <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>, FBSD Doc project <doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: About FreeBSD.org visitors

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Remko Lodder <remko@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Oct 3, 2013, at 5:14 PM, Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com> wrote:
>
>> Here is an overview of the people that visit FreeBSD.org:
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~eadler/files/Report-10.01.pdf
>>
>> Some takeaways:
>>
>> - More than half (60%) the people that come to our website leave
>> without going to another page (called 'bouncing').  However these
>> users spend more time than any other user per page.
>> - Non-bouncing users had an average of just over 4 pages per session
>> but spent about an average of 0.86/s per page.  They spend most of
>> their time on the last page.
>>
>> From these I think we can take away that most people come looking for
>> something very specific.
>> How can we fix this? Better search maybe?  Improved navigation bar?
>> Its up to you to work on this.
>>
>> - New users spend a lot *less* time on the site than repeat visitors.
>>
>> Do we need better advocacy data?  Less text to confuse new users?  Is
>> this trend specific to FreeBSD or is it true across the board?
>>
>> - Internet Explorer is 10% of our traffic.

A graph of visitor flow and falloff:
http://people.freebsd.org/~eadler/files/reports/report-10.01-flow.pdf

Which pages people visit and how long they stay there:
http://people.freebsd.org/~eadler/files/reports/report-10.01-pages.pdf

This is the same report but sorted by "most time spent on page" and
filtered to exclude pages that match "^/cgi"
http://people.freebsd.org/~eadler/files/reports/report-10.01-most-time.pdf

Of note: if you sort by "most time spent on page" you get man pages

--
Eitan Adler