Date:      Sat, 10 Oct 1998 22:18:48 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        tarika tida noinoi <tarika@ibm.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: domain name and IP Number, which come first

On 10 Oct 98, at 15:11, tarika tida noinoi wrote:

> i just very much wonder.  between domain name that i should register with
> rs.internic.net and IP Number,  which one  shall i apply for.
>
> for example, i and my friend form a working group for some purpose and we
> have our LAN with 8 to 12 machines.  we have account with some isp which
> give us dynamic ip address through ppp connection.
>
> in this case, should i apply for domain name or IP number from
> rs.internic.net ?

If all you want to do is connect to your ISP with your LAN, then no, you
don't need a domain.  You can assign IP numbers to your 8-12 machines from
the reserved range of IP numbers.  I suggeset that you could use the
192.168.0.* range of numbers for you local LAN.  Your PPP connection can
then do IP aliasing.  This will convert the internal IP addresses for use
on the outside world.

If you want to receive email sent to (for example) mydomain.com and have
that mail received at your LAN, then you will have to register that domain
with internic.  You would also contact your ISP to host your domain for
you.

These are not the only options and I'm sure the gaps I've left will be
filled by someone else.

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited