Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 15:02:00 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: removing pop3 messages

Nathan Vidican wrote:

> When I telnet into a POP3 server, I can do a 'dele 1' then 'dele 2' then
> 'dele 3', etc. etc. How do I accomplish a 'dele *' ? I want to flush all
> messages out; but I'm not sure of the command (or even if there is such
> a command?)

If you have netcat installed (program name "nc") you could try,

( echo USER foo
  echo PASS bar
  for i in $(jot 1 50); do
  	echo DELE $i
  done
  echo QUIT
) | nc your.pop3.host 110

untested, but you get the idea.  Replace "50" with the correct number,
which you can get with the "STAT" command IIRC.  There are probably
programs to do this, but it seems like overkill when a simple script
like the above should work.

If you don't have netcat installed, install it, NOW! :-) It's in
ports/net/netcat, unsurprisingly.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D