Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 11:18:39 -0400
From:      "James Gill" <gill@topsecret.net>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   tomorrow a gateway...

Hello :)

I am new to FreeBSD and I'm working a FBSD 486 into my home network to act
as a router and firewall, NAT, etc.  but It's not quite ready yet.  In the
interim, I have both NICs in the machine and up on the same subnet and I
keep getting these messages on the console:

	Jul 19 10:45:75 hostname /kernel: arp: 10.10.10.33 is on ed1 but got reply
from
	00:a0:24:23:78:e0 on ed0

It should be noted that the MAC address shown does correspond to the IP
address, so that's all working fine.  I think I understand the message; one
NIC is ARPing for an IP and the other NIC is picking up the response thus
confusing the host.  It seems that this won't be a problem when I move to
separate subnets, but having never set up a gateway before I don't think I'm
ready to plop this machine in between my live network and the outside world.

I think my question can be distilled down to:  What do I have to know extra
when putting two NICs of the same subnet in one host?

Some more info:

the network is connected up stream by an ISDN router that will be set to
pass incoming packets to a single host, this will be the router box I'm
working on.

I am using an internal 10.*.*.* network, but only one class-C subnet of it.
10.10.10.* with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.192 dividing my network into
four subnets.  Here's what I got out of rfc1878 that I based all this on:

	   Table 1-2 represents traditional subnetting of a Class C network
	   address (which is identical to extended Class B subnets).

	Subnet Mask     # of nets    Net. Addr.  Host Addr Range  Brodcast Addr.
	Bits of Subnet  hosts/subnet

	255.255.255.192 4 nets       N.N.N.0     N.N.N.1-62       N.N.N.63
	2 bit Class C   62           N.N.N.64    N.N.N.65-126     N.N.N.127
	10 bit Class B               N.N.N.128   N.N.N.129-190    N.N.N.191
	                             N.N.N.192   N.N.N.193-254    N.N.N.255

Currently, everything is in the first subnet, and when the gateway is
activated, the internal stuff will be moved into the third subnet (by simply
adding 100 to the host address).  ...so currently the gateway has .2 and .29
and internal addresses are .30 - .33 but the gateway's internal interface
will be .129 and internal will be .130 - .133 .

Thanks in advance for any help...