Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 11:20:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike <mike@ns1.seidata.com>
To:        Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: talk (fwd)

On Tue, 19 May 1998, Stephen Roome wrote:

> I guess that would be a "No". Wasn't someone writing ARMbsd or RISCbsd
> or something.. did he die or did Intel pay him to stop or something ?

*laff*  The StrongARM is a 'souped up' RISC processor, right?  Didn't they
basically take a RISC chip, strip out a few select instructions (modified
to run at super-low power) and add lots of cache?  The now discontinued
Apple Message Pad 2100 used the ARM at ~200MHz, I believe.  Impressive.

I've always heard (I have no motorola experience, yet) that motorola asm
blows x86 away when it comes to efficiency.  A friend I have develops for
Be and he's always ranting about it. :)

> [It still amazes me that there are so many better options than Intel and
> no-one ever uses them, writing ARM is a damn sight easier than 80x86

Likewise, it always amazes me that there are so many better options than
M$ and very few utilize them.  Personally, I'm always interested in new
ideas/ports/processes.  Anything to work toward a 'bigger/badder/better'
future. ;)

	-mike