Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2002 21:51:00 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
To:        freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: upgrading perl 5.005 to 5.6.1

> From: ttop13@attbi.com
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd)
> Subject: RE: upgrading perl 5.005 to 5.6.1
> Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 20:20:34 +0000
>
> In my freshly installed 4.4-Release, the
> file /usr/ports/lang/perl5/pkg-descr says "This port is
> marked FORBIDDEN as it conflics[sic] badly with the
> Perl5 that is in the 'base' system.

    roman@roman ports/lang/perl5 > cat pkg-descr
    Perl is a language that combines some of the features of C, sed,
    awk and shell.  See the manual page for more hype.  There are also
    many published by O'Reilly & Assoc.  See pod/perlbook.pod for more
    information.

    - MarkM

> If I mirror the directory
> ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/branches/-
> current/ports/lang/perl5 to my /usr/ports/lang/perl5
> directory (after removing the original files) and then
> try "make", I get (oddly) the error "perl-5.005.tar.gz
> is not in /usr/ports/lang/perl5/distinfo."  (even though
> this distinfo is from the newly downloaded port and
> distinfo doesn't mention that filename).
>
> I'm probably doing some obvious thing wrong, but I can't
> seem to figure that out.

    Seems so. Erm, why don't you just update your ports tree?
    Configure cvsup, frob a know in /etc/make.conf, and then you can
    just

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
9:48PM up 9 days, 8:26, 17 users, load averages: 0.13, 0.05, 0.03