Date:      Sun, 23 Dec 2001 21:21:59 -0500
From:      Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        gnats-admin@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/33079: gramofile's fail creating big sets of semaphores

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 07:40:01PM -0800, gnats-admin@FreeBSD.org wrote:

>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=33079

Please change this PR to analyzed/suspended/closed. I do not believe further
action is needed at this time.

Background:

I have since gotten this port to work unaltered. Apparently something
had been leaving semas around on my system, thus using up the limited amount
the kernel provides.

I noticed as well that semmsl, as reported by ipcs -a -S, is 60, so the
value of 30 in shmbuf.c seems perfectly reasonable.

Perhaps, at some point, we could improve the message from the failing
program; reliance on a big pile of semaphores makes bplay_gramo vulnerable
to failure modes that are not easily diagnosed, and that most users
(including myself, as a developer, even) do not have experience with.

I'll take this up with the author via email. :)

--
Alan Eldridge
Just another $THING hacker.