Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 1998 16:00:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        jritorto@tsoft.net, rivers@dignus.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: migrating to FreeBSD

> Yikes, I remember that problem when I tried to span a few floppies with
> Linux a few years back (I'd mentally accused Linux of being too rouge
> because of that sort of quirkyness and that's part of the reason I
> converted to FreeBSD, actually.  Now I hear it's GNU's fault!).  So I have
> that to look forward to in addition.  Yes, I did use the capital M to
> write a multi-tape tar.  Two forty-meg QICs, actually.
>
> here's a script of what's going on.  I have a few ^Hs in there, but I
> think you'll get the idea of what's happening.  Can't access the raw
> devices and ft won't talk to the tape unless it has a certain header.
>
> thanks again..

 I don't know much about the floppy tape's though; or the suspicious
"Linux raw format v2" - (is that the label you put on the tapes?)

 But - you should be able to access the raw device... are you root?

	- Dave R. -

sh-2.02# ^[[Kdd if=/dev/ft0a of=part1^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H/f^[[1@f^Hf^H^Hf^[[1P^H^[[1@rft0a^H^[[1P