Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 05:32:20 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Gary Clark II <gclarkii@main.gbdata.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCL

> If that is all people used TCL for it would be fine.  But they insist on
> writing LARGE programs in it. I've got the TCL books

"A good fortran programmer can write fortran in any language."

Sure there are people who misuse it.  There are probably also some
really good statistics which show how many people injure themselves
each year in trying to use screwdrivers for pounding nails or
otherwise flagrantly misusing a tool for purposes of expediency.  It
doesn't prove anything other than the fact that humans are perverse
monkeys who often willfully do stupid things. :)

> If it comes down to it, I load the TCL module and write TCL
> inside my PERL app:)

No comment. :)

> Again Jordan, it comes back to people touting it as a "General Purpose"
> language.  If we keep it as a scripting languauge for C apps (like aXe)
> then all is well.

No one who actually knows how to *use* TCL is touting it as a general
purpose language, Gary, and you're simply listening to the wrong
people.  You've added nothing to the "to TCL or not to TCL" argument
here. :)

					Jordan