Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 1999 18:56:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jeff <jeff@cc602670-a.flrtn1.occa.home.com>
To:        morrows@dmtconsulting.com
Cc:        morrow@dmtconsulting.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: High speed serial

> I have a ISDN adapter hooked up to a FreeBSD 2.2.8 box.  I need to get a

> high speed serial port.  What are some that people have used before?  I
> really only need the one serial port, and don't often have a large amount of
> money to spend on it.  Any suggestions would be appreciated though...
>
> Steve
> renegade@unforgettable.com

Hello-I have used several brands and the real issue (IMHO) isn't who makes
the card so much as does the card have at least a 16650 UART chip. There is
also a 16750 UART, the problem with both of them is that you probably won't
be able to get more the 128kbps unless both your end and the other support
the same form of compression. The cost in my area (So. Cal.) usually runs
no more then $50. with many brands at $35 to $40. I would suggest you
beware of any card that says it uses a chip that is "equvilant to" either
the 16650 or the 16750 UART. Get the real thing if you can. Hope this helps
good luck. Jeff Phillips