Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 1998 16:02:18 +0200 (EET)
From:      mika ruohotie <bsdhack@shadows.aeon.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Splash screen (splashkit) for 3.0 systems...

> Mike Smith:
> I'm also interested in seeing if a few things I found in the 2.2 version
> were/will be addressed.  E.g.:
>
>    - Splash should auto-dismiss itself when booting gets to the syscons
>      login prompt (i.e. not running xdm)

why not make it a user selectable?

so that a user would be able to choose an option where the splash is
left after the boot complites, maybe even putting on another image
all together, and until some special key combination (user definable)
is pressed, leave it at that. the key combination would drop it to the
normal syscons login. wouldnt hurt having that key comb being predefined.

falling back into that splash when logging out would be nice too.

that would be _very_ usefull for me for those customer firewall setups,
all the customer needs to know is if the system is up and running or
not, they dont need to be able to log in. to many people nowadays a
nice image on screen looks more "convincing" than a black login screen,
i'd assume many people considering "non gui" looking somewhat "old".

yes, i'd do that myself if i'd know how, maybe i know, it just sounds
too complicated for me.

mickey

ps. it'd also "secure" the servers at work, non admins would scare the
    screen (image of the deamon and text "touch this and i'm after you")

pss. i'm not thinking it as a method of secure anything, just to make it
     to look more "professional" or something

psss. these are just random ideas... =)))

pssss. yes, i can test things in at least one of my current machines