Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2011 19:47:29 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Rem P Roberti <remegius@comcast.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Stuck

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 10:53:09 -0800, Rem P Roberti <remegius@comcast.net> wrote:
> I completely misspoke, having confused the hard drive in question with
> another box. This drive is a 40G drive, of which 500MB was allotted for
> root.

For a current FreeBSD system, this is a bit too small
(although sufficient under certain circumstances).
Making / 1G or 2G should be fully sufficient in all
cases.

> When I ran your command I noticed the /boot/kernel.old was very
> large, so I moved the whole thing over to my home directory, which
> finally allowed me to boot the computer normally.

The .old file is a backup of the previous kernel, this
backup is created automatically when you "make installkernel".

> This was an intuitive
> move, and probably not that kosher, but it worked.

It simply removes the ability to boot the old kernel, which
doesn't seem to be a problem here.

> But where do we go
> from here?

Check your kernel configuration (remove symbols), maybe
remove building of modules you don't need (see "man src.conf"
for details), repeat the installation procedure outlined
in /usr/src/Makefile (comment section at the beginning).

You should then end up with a fully functional updated system.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany