Date:      Thu, 09 May 2002 12:48:55 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Graham Lillico <graham_lillico@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Server Setup

Graham Lillico wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just about to build a fileserver and I was wondering if anyone could
> give me some input into the directory structure i have decided on,
>
> Disk1 is a 20Gb IDE Drive and Disk2 is a 40-80Gb Drive
>
> Filesystem              Size        Drive
> ----------              -------     -----
> /                         512Mb     Disk1

Overkill, 150M has never been too little for me.

> /var                      512Mb     Disk1

Depending on how much logging you want to retain, could be overkill or too
little.  Is this a Samba fileserver?  If so, figure out how much log.smb
you want to keep on each machine and how many machines you expect to keep
logs for.  On big Samba servers, the Samba logs can become quite big, very
quickly.

> /usr                     4096Mb     Disk1

Looks good.

> /usr/home               10240Mb     Disk2

Ok, but there's no reason to use /usr/home, just mount it as /home

> /usr/src                 2048Mb     Disk1

Probably overkill, the source tree is less than 400M

> /usr/ports               2048Mb     Disk2

Probably overkill, unless you want to keep a large number of distfiles around.
If you make clean after every install, you can probably work with far less
than this.

> /usr/obj                 2048Mb     Disk2

Again, overkill, I've never seen the /usr/obj tree get over 500M

> /usr/local/squid/cache   2048Mb     Disk1

You might want to make some more room there, depending on your squid settings.
Squid's cache is pretty configurable, and I've configured caches to cache
everything (including large FTP downloads) and it can fill up pretty quick.
It depends on how many users use the cache and what kind of work they do. I've
never seen a cache take up 2G, but be warned that it could fill up - depending
on your settings.  It's probably fine, though.

> /usr/local/www           1024Mb     Disk2

Assuming that this is your web site, it's going to depend heavily on how big
your web site is.

> /share                  20480Mb     Disk2

Don't know what this is for, so it's hard to comment on it.

> SWAP                      256Mb     Disk1
> SWAP                      256Mb     Disk2

How much RAM do you have?  It's good practice (IMHO) to make any single swap
partition at least as big as your physical ram, that allows you to do crash
dumps if problems arise.  Having swap on both drives is a good idea.

> Does this setup sound like a good plan?  Or do you guys think I should
> move stuff around?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You've got a lot of space there, so the overkill probably isn't anything to
worry about.  If you've got more than 240M of RAM, I'd increase the swap space.
Read "man tuning" for some important data on swap space.  I believe it gives
some good advice there.
I'd do some estimating on /var/log stuff.  You may want more space there or you
may be fine.

A trick I use when I've got LOTS of room, is to leave a few gigs unpartitioned,
and if I find that I've undersized something, I can always use that space to
solve the problem.

Something you missed - with this much space, you may want to make a special
partition for /var/tmp and /tmp.  1G would likely be more than enough.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology