Date:      Wed, 16 Mar 2005 01:57:05 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Ludo Koren" <lk@tempest.sk>, <grog@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Backup on DDS-4 tapes

I have never found multivolume tar archives to work unless I defined
the size of each tape.  Waiting for the tape device to return an EOT
to the tar program always ended up with junk.

If the tar in 5.3 doesen't have this option any longer why don't you
compile a tar that does?

Anyway, I think your problem is your tape device has it's dip switch
set to disable compression.  In that position it takes a SCSI command
to turn compression on.  If you flip the switch then the tape device
starts with compression on, and it takes a scsi command to turn it
off.  This is hardware compression I am referring to, of course.

Ted