Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:45:35 +0200
From:      Oliver Fuchs <oliverfuchs@onlinehome.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tar a complete drive excluding one directory (solved)

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, Radek Kozlowski wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 03:24:45PM +0200, Oliver Fuchs wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want in FreeBSD RELEASE 5.2.1 tar a complete / system except one directory
> > e.g. /mnt where I want to store the tar archive.
> > In linux I do:
> >
> > cd /
> > tar cvzf /mnt/root.bak-$(date +%Y%m%d).tar.gz . --exclude=proc --exclude=mnt
> >
> > Trying this in FreeBSD is not accepted because tar is still trying to tar
> > the /mnt directory and the to be made archive.
>
> Try:
>
>         # tar --exclude=proc --exclude=proc -cvzf \
>                 /mnt/root.bak-$(date +%Y%m%d).tar.gz .
>
> -Radek

Yes, thanx - that did the trick. I only wonder why tar is on one side
accepting this order and on the other side it isn't.

What I did was:
I copied the whole drive via:
cd /
tar cf - bin | ( cd /mnt/freebsd ; tar xvf)
tar cf - boot | ( cd /mnt/freebsd ; tar xvf)

Until know (I rebooted the new drive with the copied system) no errors
occured except one that the file modes/permissions of
directories /tmp and /var/tmp seemed to have changed because e.g. kde could not
start anymore saying that it has no permissions to use tmp.

So thanx again for helping and answering

Oliver
--
... don't touch the bang bang fruit