Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 1998 19:26:14 +0200
From:      Paul van der Zwan <paulz@trantor.stuyts.nl>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd and ipfw rules not working together

> On Mon 1998-08-24 (17:08), Paul van der Zwan wrote:
> > add divert natd ip from any to any via tun0
> > add allow     ip   from any to any via lo0
> > add allow     ip   from any to any via de0
> > add deny log  ip   from 127.0.0.0/8 to 127.0.0.0/8
> > add deny log  all  from 192.168.0.0:255.255.0.0 to any in recv tun0
> > #add deny log  all  from any to 192.168.0.0:255.255.0.0 in recv tun0
> > add deny log  all  from 172.16.0.0:255.240.0.0 to any in recv tun0
> > add deny log  all  from any to 172.16.0.0:255.240.0.0 in recv tun0
> > add deny log  all  from 10.0.0.0:255.0.0.0 to any in recv tun0
> > add deny log  all  from any to 10.0.0.0:255.0.0.0 in recv tun0
>
> Ok, maybe I'm missing something here, but:
>
> Why do you want to deny stuff from 192.168.0.0:255.255.0.0 that is coming via
> your tun0 device?  I assume this is a modem connection between your work and
> home or something.

Tun0 is the modem connection to my ISP.  My FreeBSD box is connected to a lan
on the de0 interface containing some other computers, using 192.168.200.x as addresses.
I don't want any rfc1918 addresses coming in or going out on the link to my
ISP. That is the reason for the rules above ( which are a subset of all rules
, they are followed by about 30 more)

> You should be more interested in blocking the reserved IPs coming from other
> devices, surely?

That is what I am trying to do. But by enabling the commented rule above I
also block packets translated by natd, which I don't want to block but want to
allow. Only there is no way discriminate between packets having a rfc1918
destination from the start and those which get it from natd.

> You also might want to use rule numbers, to know which rules apply, and in
> which order.  As far as I remember, the most recently applied rule at a
> number has precedence, and if you don't specify a number, it's given 0.  Your
> most recent case regarding 192.168.0.0:255.255.0.0 would be deny (if you
> uncomment it).

I had rules numbered but I found it easier to put them all in a file and use
ipfw flush followed by ipfw filename to load them all at once, It is too much
trouble renumbering lines in the file if I inserted more lines than I left
space for. If I see a deny in the log I ususally use ipfw show if ith is not
immediately clear which rule is triggered.

> Hope this helps.

Not with my real problem , I'm afraid ;-)

Thanks
	Paul

--
Paul van der Zwan		paulz @ trantor.stuyts.nl
"I think I'll move to theory, everything works in theory..."