Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 1999 18:21:21 -0600
From:      "Ellis, Joshua" <ellis@kcc.com>
To:        "'David L. Hays, Jr.'" <elfkinz@elfland.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: gtk-1.2.1 install problem

> Thanks for sending those two files, and sorry to be such a trouble.
>
> Now I'm getting an entirely different error.  I think I know
> what to do to
> fix it, but I don't have a /etc/ld.so.conf file, and I'm not
> sure where
> the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable should go.

Try adding the correct directory with ldconfig.  For example,

 /sbin/ldconfig -m { path to shared object }

man ldconfig for more info.  You may want to add it to your startup script.
I have to do this for postgresql...

#!/bin/sh
# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/pgsql.sh
[ -d /usr/local/pgsql/lib ] && /sbin/ldconfig -m /usr/local/pgsql/lib
.
.
rest of script
.
.

-joshua
---
Joshua Ellis - Kimberly-Clark Internet/Intranet/Notes Services
email: ellis@kcc.com * phone: 920/721-2779 * fax: 920/721-6180