Date:      Fri, 10 Jul 1998 15:19:17 +0200
From:      Gert van der Plas <g.a.j.v.d.plas@vortex.phys.tue.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NFS and 64bit file access

Dear  Reader,

As advised on the website I am posting a question/(bug?) to this list. I
have notices some problems FreeBSD has accessing large files.  The
problem occures at FreeBSD 2.2.5, but I could find no mention of a fix
in 2.2.6.

Using 'fgetpos'  and 'fread' or using 'lseek' and 'read' one can use
64-bit pointers, 'fpos_t'  and 'off_t to access large files mounted
under NFS v3. This however does not seem to work properly for files
larger  as 2Gb.  Attemps to acces larger than 2 Gb files  on a
NT-machine with a NFS v3 deamon fail. Accessing the larger than 2Gb
files on a NT from Digital Unix 4.0 (Dec Alpha) works perfect. Is this a
bug? Or am I doing something wrong? Please help me.

Regards,

                Gert van der Plas

Einhoven University of Technology
   Fluid Dynamics Laboratory