Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 2010 10:54:41 -0500
From:      Nathan Peet Maier <maier.nathan@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mouse appears on screen but does not move

Okay,
    THe mouse is working well enough.  I changed my label in
    ports-supfile to tag=.  which I found in documentation as
    applicable to ports supfiles.  Is this different from source
    supfiles where "." means CURRENT release.

    Anyhow, after portupgrade -a, I tried xdm with 'AllowEmptyInput'
    'off' and both mouse and keyboard worked.  Then I changed to
    'AutoAddDevices' 'off' and the mouse worked as well.

'AutoAddDevices' 'off' :

(**) Mouse0:
    ZAxisMapping: buttons 4, 5, 6 and 7 (**) Mouse0: Buttons: 11
(**) Mouse0: Sensitivity: 1
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
(**) Mouse0: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
(**) Mouse0: (accel) acceleration profile 0
(II) Mouse0: SetupAuto: hw.iftype is 4, hw.model is 0
(II) Mouse0: SetupAuto: protocol is SysMouse
(**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
(**) Keyboard0: always reports core events
(**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
(**) Keyboard0: Protocol: standard
(**) Option "XkbRules" "base"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbRules: "base"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbModel: "pc105"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "us"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbLayout: "us"
(**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"
(**) Keyboard0: CustomKeycodes disabled
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)
(EE) config/hal: couldn't initialise context: unknown error (null)
(END)

'AllowEmptyInput' 'off':

(**) Option "Protocol" "auto"
(**) Mouse0: Device: "/dev/sysmouse"
(**) Mouse0: Protocol: "auto"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Mouse0: always reports core events
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
(==) Mouse0: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
(**) Mouse0: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4, 5, 6 and 7
(**) Mouse0: Buttons: 11
(**) Mouse0: Sensitivity: 1
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
(**) Mouse0: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
(**) Mouse0: (accel) acceleration profile 0
(II) Mouse0: SetupAuto: hw.iftype is 4, hw.model is 0
(II) Mouse0: SetupAuto: protocol is SysMouse

I will be sorting 'hardware access layer' issues for myself soon.
Thanks for all your help.  The problem was the mismatched version
numbers.  This, no doubt, has prevented alot of other mismatches from
popping up.
-Nate Maier