Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 2002 00:11:51 +0300 (WET)
From:      Evren Yurtesen <eyurtese@turkuamk.fi>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe <mit@dreamlabs.com>, freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE:(2) about @XX.freebsd.org email account policies...???

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Dan Langille wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Evren Yurtesen wrote:
>
> > I was thinking of this little bit. I have came to the conclusion that
> > perhaps its not right to give free email accounts with @xx.freebsd.org =)
>
> Free?  You mean charge for them?  ;)
>
> I'm in charge of nz.freebsd.org.  I never gave out addresses at first.  I
> was very leary of doing that.  Then I started to delegate the work.
> I gave ftp@ to the guy in charge of the ftp server.  But I never gave
> someone an email address unless they needed it to do their job.  e.g. I
> didn't give my mate Tom one just so he could be part of the domain.

How do you define that somebody is doing a job worthy of getting an
@nz.freebsd.org email?

> > The suggestion that the people who wants to have an @xx.freebsd.org email
> > address should apply to the freebsd team directly is great but again
> > it would require some amount of processing on the freebsd team. But
> > instead if we define some guidelines on giving @xx.freebsd.org email
> > addresses perhaps the people who administrate DNS records of
> > xx.freebsd.org domains could also administrate the distribution of local
> > email accounts of the people who contribute to the project in some way in
> > their local region.
>
> The people in charge of xx.freebsd.org already have charge of email
> for that domain.  It's a characteristic of DNS.

Yes indeed, but until now there havent been any clear manual which defines
how to use the power which comes by being in charge of xx.freebsd.org. At
least, I havent seen any documentation which covers email addresses
related to xx.freebsd.org domains.

If there were, then we wouldnt be discussing about whether it is advisable
to give emails of xx.freebsd.org domains or not. We would just know the
answer, I presume. ;)

Since this seems to be a subject which needs to be addressed. I suggest
that the freebsd team should define a set of rules about administration of
these domains' email distribution or we should make a set of rules and
propose to the FreeBSD team. Which in return would be published at FreeBSD
web site for the review of domain administrators now and in future.

> > So the question arises that who would define the guidelines of giving
> > @xx.freebsd.org email accounts etc. for the local sites? Any contact
> > emails etc. that you can inform or provide?
>
> IMHO, those that do the work, get the addresses.

As I said, the word "work" can be interpreted in many ways. What kind of
work grants the person to get the address? Is there anywhere a written
definition for this?

Evren