Date:      08 Oct 1996 11:31:27 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Wow, CVSup is cool!

Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com> writes:

> After complaining about some problems I had with sup4.freebsd.org (it
> repeatedly fetched large chunks of contrib even though nothing, other than
> the datestamp, had changed!), I decided to try out CVSup, even though it
> involves installing the 5MB Modula-3 package first.  I was _very_
> impressed!  My favorite features:

I switched from sup to ctm some time ago and ctm is more appropriate
for my modem link but last night, after a mail gateway disaster, I was
forced to grab some ctm deltas by hand and it occured to me that a
supscan of the deltas directory would be usefull so that when
something does get badly spammed in your delta directory (assuming you
archive them all which I do) then you can run sup as a one off to
repair/retrieve missing delta files. It would mean having a slightly
different structure to the delta directory layout in that when a new
base delta is started it should be in in a separate directory. Otherwise,
running sup across the whole lot would download all the base deltas
that wouldn't be needed.

My desire for this is that I needed to go out and got caught up trying
to determine which deltas were missing and getting odd files one at a
time. I really wanted some mechanism that I could just leave running
while I was out that knew to grab the missing/damaged files. Sup was
actually quite good at that function and as a one off recovery
mechanism would still be useful.

Anyone else think this would be useful?

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155