Date:      Sat, 12 Sep 1998 18:33:25 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <rsm@acm.org>
To:        Mark Barbisan <barbisan@interlog.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Email for Dialup Account

On Sun, Sep 06, 1998 at 05:13:52PM -0400, Mark Barbisan wrote:
> I am working on FreeBSD 2.2.7, purchased from Walnut Creek. I am very new
> to FreeBSD and would like to setup my personal email. I have setup my ppp
> connection properly (thank you very much!) (BTW, the ppp is the user
> program, not the kernel PPP) and plan on using Pine 4.02a (which I have
> installed using the ports collection). I have used Pine with my shell
> account on my ISP and like it very much.
>
> This computer is a personal computer, which is *not* connected to a LAN.
> >From the reading I have done on the FreeBSD site, I am pretty sure I have
> to use sendmail and fetchmail (my internet connection is a dynamic PPP
> dialup). Are there any tutorials available on the web concerning how to
> setup sendmail and fetchmail (if these are indeed the programs I need to
> use) for dialup, dynamic PPP connections? Most of the information
> regarding sendmail setup I have seen is for local networks.
>
> I know I can use Pine while connected to the Internet, but I want to be
> able to download all my email at once, disconnect, read it/reply to it
> offline, and then just connect to the 'net again to send the replies.

Check out chapter 15 of the handbook and Q8.18 in the FAQ, which should
answer most of your questions.  Essentially though, you're right; fetchmail
is a program for grabbing mail from a server and downloading it in bulk to
your local machine, whereas sendmail is (as it's name implies) for sending
mail.  It also gets used by fetchmail to do the final local delivery.

You should be able to configure things so that your mail gets queued up
until you dial your ISP (handy if, like me, you pay for each minute online)
and your new mail is downloaded at the same time.

Let us know if you have any further problems after reading the
handbook/FAQ.  You might also want to browse through the mail archives on
www.freebsd.org -- plenty of people have asked this question before.

HTH,

	Scott.