Date:      Mon, 06 Jun 2011 23:27:27 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   pf starts before network_ipv6 ?

--------------enig1CCCBAEADB45CD049BF21DD4

Hmmm.... pf(4) is started before IPv6 addresses are configured on
interfaces.

lucid-nonsense:~:% rcorder /etc/rc.d/* | grep -A 3 '/pf$'
/etc/rc.d/pf
/etc/rc.d/ppp
/etc/rc.d/routing
/etc/rc.d/network_ipv6

I can see that starting pf before configuring routing is desirable, and
there is code in network_ipv6 that is routing dependent, but configuring
IPv6 addresses on interfaces during network_ipv6 and after pf has
started means /etc/pf.conf will frequently evaluate to a different set
of rules on boot than it will if pf.conf is reloaded during normal runtim=
e.

Eg. when pf starts, there's generally only a link-local IPv6 address
configured on the interface, so in pf rules like:

pass in on $ext_if proto tcp              \
     from any to $ext_if port ssh         \
     flags S/SA keep state                \
     (max-src-conn-rate 3/30, overload <ssh-bruteforce> flush global)

the $ext_if in line 2 doesn't expand to include the usual routable IPv6
address of the interface, and the ssh bruteforce blocking function here
will be ineffectual.  This seems so obviously wrong to me, that I must
be missing something?

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20