Date:      Wed, 05 Sep 2001 14:52:06 +0800
From:      "Daniel Blankensteiner" <dslb@linuxmail.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD vs. OpenBSD

To “FreeBSD”

I have a little problem I hope you will help me with. I have to choose an operating system for my server and I am torn between OpenBSD and FreeBSD. I have heared a lot of good things about each, but I have found that most people use FreeBSD and there is more literature on FreeBSD. But when I visit your website and OpenBSD’s the to headlines concern me:
FreeBSD: "Please be aware that the telnet daemon shipping in FreeBSD prior to July 23, 2001 contains a remotely exploitable security problem. "
OpenBSD: "Four years without a remote hole in the default install!"
I have read about OpenBSD’s default installation and found out that it meant no running services, but I couldn’t find similar information on you website. So there of my first question is:
Which services are running after a FreeBSD default installation?
And my second:
In your honest opinion, which of the two OS’s are the most secure? (less buggiest)
And finally my last question:
Which of the two OS’s have the brightest future?

I hope you will answer my questions*S*

Yours sincerely

Daniel Blankensteiner
Denmark