Date:      Sat, 29 Aug 1998 10:03:22 -0500
From:      George Vagner <vagner@kf7nn.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, junkmale@xtra.co.nz, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel with > 2 IDE devices

apparently you have an older 486 machine possibly with a promise
ide vesa local bus card installed.

i would try putting both the hard drives on the VLB port since its faster, set
one to slave the other to master and put the cd-rom on the IDE port and set it
as slave.

i have this setup here and it works fine.