Date:      Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:52:52 -0600
From:      "Mike Loiterman" <mike@ascendency.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Help backing up to networked drive

I would like to backup my server to a firewire drive connected to a
Macintosh Mini. Both machines are on my local network and, of course, behind
a secure firewall.

Right now I'm using this script to take backups:

#!/bin/sh

 /sbin/dump -0uanL -f - / | gzip -2 | ssh -c blowfish mike@192.168.1.11 dd
of=/Volumes/Server-Backup/dump-root.gz && \
 /sbin/dump -0uanL -f - /tmp | gzip -2 | ssh -c blowfish mike@192.168.1.11
dd of=/Volumes/Server-Backup/dump-tmp.gz && \
 /sbin/dump -0uanL -f - /usr | gzip -2 | ssh -c blowfish mike@192.168.1.11
dd of=/Volumes/Server-Backup/dump-usr.gz && \
 /sbin/dump -0uanL -f - /var | gzip -2 | ssh -c blowfish mike@192.168.1.11
dd of=/Volumes/Server-Backup/dump-var.gz

This is working fine, but I have to run the script mannually and enter the
password.

So my question are these:
1.  Is there any other way of doing this so that I would not have to deal
with the password issue from ssh?  This is all taking place behind a secure
firewall on my local network, so ssh is probably not necessary.

2.  How can I use samba to mount the Mini's drive?  mount_smbfs would only
see the home share belonging to the user I was logging in with and not the
/Volume directory on the Mac.  Sym-links from the users /home to /Volumes
didn't work correctly.  How can I access the drives in /Volumes via samba?

Mike Loiterman
grantADLER
Tel: 630-302-4944
Fax: 773-442-0992