Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:23:33 +0200
From:      Matthew West <mwest@uct.ac.za>
To:        Gary Jackson <bargle@umiacs.umd.edu>
Cc:        Frederik Meerwaldt <frederik@freddym.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can anyone recommend a good clustering software?

A quick search on http://www.google.com/ returned:

http://www.sc.cs.tu-bs.de/pare/:
"PaRe is an educational project at the Technical University Braunschweig to
set up a Beowulf-class supercomputer built from commodity components. It
starts from early hardware and design decisions and ends in building and
profiling some small parallelized applications."

When talking about "clustering", you should mention whether it's related to
parallel computing or fail-over/high-availability.

For more information on Beowulf-style clusters, take a look at:
http://www.beowulf.org/

For a Beowulf-style cluster with a FreeBSD spin on it:
http://acme.ecn.purdue.edu/

I've set up a PVM-based cluster on FreeBSD.  It's pretty straight forward:

Basically, it's just a FreeBSD base install and the PVM package (which is in
the ports collection).  A PVM enabled povray is also available in the ports
collection, but I've not had a chance to play with it yet.

PVM links: http://www.epm.ornl.gov/pvm/pvm_home.html
           http://www.netlib.org/pvm3/book/pvm-book.html

--
mwest@uct.ac.za