Date:      Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:45:40 -0700
From:      Vizion <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Subject:   Re: cvsup for sourceforge & other similar sites.

On Thursday 25 August 2005 16:34,  the author Giorgos Keramidas contributed to
the dialogue on-
 Re: cvsup for sourceforge & other similar sites.:

>On 2005-08-25 15:40, Vizion <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com> wrote:
>> I am wanting to cvs automatically - but I seem to fail to get into
>> sourceforge (either command line or using cron) -- by using cvsup on
>> the ports tree I have become lazy and confused by the cvs manual!! (I
>> do wish freebsd manuals had more detailed examples!!). I used to do
>> this stuff regularly (longer ago than I care to admit) - but it takes
>> time to get back into it!
>
>I'll try to help, but there are good references at the home page of CVS too
> :)
>
>> Here are a few of of my tries (as root):
>
>Not a good idea.  You don't need superuser rights to check out stuff
>from a remote repository.
>
>> dns1# cvs -f -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.sf.net:/cvsroot/eclipsexul login
>> Logging in to :pserver:anonymous@cvs.sf.net:2401/cvsroot/eclipsexul
>> CVS password:
>> cvs login: warning: failed to open /root/.cvspass for reading: No such
>> file or directory
>>
>> /* Seemed to call for a .cvspass file..
>>   Cant find a way to give a password  interactively so I had better create
>> a file..*/
>>
>> /* So I create a .cvspass with a blank line
>>  -- (Sourceforge demands a blank) */
>
>Simply running:
>
>	dns1# touch ~/.cvspass
>
>should do it.
>
>> dns1# cp /usr/home/Sysadmin/.cvspass /root/
>> dns1# chown root /root/.cvspass
>>
>> dns1# cvs -f -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.sf.net:/cvsroot/eclipsexul login
>> Logging in to :pserver:anonymous@cvs.sf.net:2401/cvsroot/eclipsexul
>> CVS password:
>> cvs login: warning: skipping invalid entry in password file at line 1
>>
>> /* Which was treated as invalid! */
>
>It seems the CVSROOT/passwd file of the remote repository is corrupt.
>
>> dns1# pwd
>> /usr/home/Sysadmin/cvs
>>
>> dns1# ls -l
>> total 0
>>
>> /* Try again adding '.' after eclipseexul */
>> dns1# cvs -f -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.sf.net:/cvsroot/eclipsexul. login
>> Logging in to :pserver:anonymous@cvs.sf.net:2401/cvsroot/eclipsexul.
>> CVS password:
>> cvs [login aborted]: unrecognized auth response from cvs.sf.net: M -!-
>> Client or Server timeout occurred!
>>
>> /*I just seem to get errors from cvs! I guess I need to find out what I am
>> doing wrong*/
>
>Sourceforge problems, as far as I can tell.

Thanks

I have taken it up with sourceforge - hopefullty I will get an answer..

Thanks for your time

David

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.