Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 2002 14:44:58 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Mark.Andrews@isc.org, security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: libc flaw: BIND 9 closes most holes but also opens one

Brett Glass wrote:

> At 03:27 PM 6/29/2002, Doug Barton wrote:
>
> >        The libbind bug is fixed in both 8.2.6, and 8.3.3. Please be more
> >careful to read what is posted before responding.
>
> I know that there were earlier fixes to prevent buffer overrruns.
> My impression, based on ISC's statements, is that more were required
> after that time. Have you done a diff between 8.2.6 and 8.3.3?

	Non sequitur. I was responding to your claim that libbind was fixed
only in 8.3.3. You are categorically wrong on that point. I already said
that if you're running BIND 8, you're better off with the 8.3.3 version.

> >That said, if you are
> >going to run a BIND 8 server, I think you're a lot better off with
> >8.3.3.
>
> I want to run a BIND 9 server, because it will protect vulnerable
> machines and apps behind it. But it looks as if I'll need to get
> libbind out of 8.3.3, too

	Only if you're using something that links against it. IMO you're better
off just not having it around.

Doug