Date:      17 Jan 2003 10:05:27 +1000
From:      Duncan Anker <d.anker@au.darkbluesea.com>
To:        Frank Li <frank19991@hotmail.com>
Cc:        neuhauser@bellavista.cz, cswiger@mac.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Increase memory limit ?

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 07:59, Frank Li wrote:
> Thanks, Roman,

> > > Which file should I put in the following ?
> >
> >     in your kernel configuration file, look in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/
>
> So, I need to recompile kernel ?
> I guess in this case I'd better back up things in case the kernel no longer
> boots up...

You can also tune this at boot time by adding them to the file
/boot/loader.conf. e.g.

kern.maxdsiz="(256*1024*1024)"

Although I am not 100% certain whether the tunables parser actually
calculates that, I haven't checked the source too closely. I play it
safe by using the actual number.

On other thing to beware of, whether you set this in the kernal or
/boot/loader.conf, is that you cannot go over 2^31-1 because FreeBSD
uses a signed int for this value (I tried setting it to 2G once and
MySQL refused to start - MySQL AB verified the problem).

--

The information contained in this email is confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, you may not disclose or use the