Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2001 20:39:21 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: aviplay with 24-bit color depth?

Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com> wrote:
 > OK.  One thing (among many) I'm still not clear about, though: is the XVideo
 > extension automatically loaded, or do I have to specify it in my XF86Config?

It's loaded automatically, I don't have it in my config or
anywhere else either.  If `xdpyinfo` lists it, then you're
fine.

 > > In fact, your list seems to be identical to mine.  As I
 > > wrote, I also have an S3 Savage (MX), and it works fine
 > > with aviplay and mplayer in 32 bit mode.
 >
 > I can't seem to get 32-bit mode.  If I use "DefaultDepth 32" in my
 > XF86Config, I get an error that it's not supported.  Or are you referring
 > to something else?

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  From the viewpoint
of the X server, the depth is 24 bits.  (It uses 32 bits
per pixel physically in video RAM, though.)

 > Hmm.  I'm noticing my numbers are just slightly different from yours, but
 > no idea why (port base, visualID's).  My card is a Savage 4, by the way.
 >
 > X-Video Extension version 2.2
 > screen #0
 >   Adaptor #0: "Savage Streams Engine"
 >   [...]

This looks all OK to me.

 > Any idea what's causing the problem or how to fix it?

Sometimes, when the X server has been running for a long
time, I also get problems with video playback.  It looks
like green stripes all over the output window.  My guess
is that the xvideo part of the server drops out of sync
somehow.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to reproduce
this reliably, so I cannot say what is really causing it.
It might be a certain X application triggering it under
certain circumstances.

In any case, restarting the X server fixes the problem
(I simply log out and in again, so xdm kills and restarts
the X server).  Right after logging in, mplayer works fine
again (and aviplay, too).

I'd suggest you try to kill the running X server, then
start a "bare bones" X session, possibly without any
window manager at all, just a naked xterm, and try to run
mplayer immediately.  If it works, then some application
had been confusing the xvideo extension for you before.
BTW, I'm using olvwm as the window manager, so this does
not seem to trigger the problem.

Other than that, I have no idea what else to try.

Regards
   Oliver