Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 1998 17:00:32 -0330 (NST)
From:      Jeffery Gallagher <jeffg@cs.mun.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Adaptec 2940UW and timeout errors.

I have seen references to timeout errors regarding adaptec controllers in
various places in the mailing lists and support documentation so I was
reluctant to bring this up; But I am truely stuck!

Unlike many of the other references to timeouts with adaptec cards my
timeout occures while attempting to boot the generic kernel for an
install on a machine. There is no load, (Of course there isn't really any
system), I have tried disabling sync. negotation, disconnection, lowered
bus speeds, disabled the bios, ensured cabling is good and properly
terminated and STILL, when I go to install the config manager finds the
adaptec ahc0 IRQ etc without any problems, then, it gives the message
waiting for scsi devices to settle. After about a minute it returns an
error for each of the 16 devices.. "unknown unknown ????" or timeout
error, (and it reports the scsi ID in hex but that really doesn't help
much) This causes an error condition to be buffered and after going
through all the devices it finally performes a reboot. I have tried
installing from CD, from floppy, from Windows - Nothing. (A side note,
this scsi configuration works well with Windows 95 and betas of Win98. )

System specific information:
P200MMX Acer M-Board VX chipset 512k - 32M Ram - Adaptec 2940UW PCI Bios
revision
1.32 (Or maybe the 2 is a 7 - I can't even read my own writing <grin>)
I am running 1 Seagate Hawk ST1200N (8 bit) a Pioneer 24X SCSI (It is OEM
and I can't remember the model number) and a Micropolis 4221WS On the
16bit side of the controller. Again, Everything is terminated (Or at
least it should be) and I have tried  many different approaches.
Any suggestions would be a welcome sight! Thanks!

Jeff Gallagher
<jeffg@cs.mun.ca>