Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:26:02 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
Cc:        "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How Is The FeeBSD OS Like and Different Than Say Redhat or Suse LINUX

Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx> types:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 05:15:38AM -0400, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> A great deal of dpkg and rpm packages will not allow you to relocate
> them. Common examples are gnome-libs, kde-libs, and other stuff that you
> probably want moved more than anything. Of course, since all of gnome
> depends on the libraries, that also means you can't move any of the
> gnome packages. A classic example of how linux is simpler and more
> intelligent than FreeBSD... until you want to customize things.

That's part of the popularization (or Windowsification) effort. Making
things simpler if you give people exactly what you want them to
have. Making things simpler while giving them exactly what they want
to have is much harder.

> Slackware is the only system that gives you FULL control over where
> packages are kept (at least in the old days). Since slackware packages
> are simply tarballs, you can extract them anywhere you like.

Yes, but will the execute properly under those conditons? pkg_add will
gladly install a package whever you tell it to, but if the package has
paths compiled into it, it will fail.

I dropped mail on -ports suggesting that we add an rpm-like
relocatable flag to packages. That would improve the current
situation.

	<mike