Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:35:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jay Kuri <jay@oneway.com>
To:        Jim Sander <jim@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Redundancy... final(?) summary

> P.S. Random thought... the other way to attack this problem is to reduce
>      consumption. Single-chip servers with flash storage could be
>      powered by flashlight batteries. :)

	Funny you should mention that.  I was thinking about this as I
read this thread.  A while back (about a year ago, now) I did this.  We
built a AMD powered server with flash drive and a battery-backed power
supply.  It worked pretty well and had a tiny power draw.

We used these ATX-style power supplies with a built in battery
backup.  They were rated to run a 'normal' server (with hard drive AND
monitor) for like an hour.  On our machines they ran much longer.  They
had a Serial interface so you could tell when they switched to battery and
when they were likely to run out of juice.  Very neat.  They ran
great... and I don't think we had an outage that lasted longer than the
batteries... I think about 4 hours was the top I saw.

I don't work there any more, but I managed to dig up the info... so here
it is if you are interested:

http://ipps.amsdell.com/
877-267-3355

IPPSCommander - part number IPAM-002

Ours was customised a bit (different power connector) but they have a
'standard' version.

Jay