Date:      Wed, 18 Jan 1995 07:02:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      bmk@dtr.com
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        bmk@dtr.com, questions@FreeBSD.org, bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Reboots under 2.0-SNAP pppd (once again).

> > I just upgraded my system to the latest snapshot on wcarchive.  It seems
> > now that some bugs may have crept back into the pppd code.

> This is weird!  Why is nobody else reporting this?  I'll look into it
> as best I can..

I did some additional experimentation with it this morning.  Here's what
I did:

	* Started pppd. So far so good.
	* Pinged a "near" host (just on the other side of the link)
	* Pinged a couple of "far" hosts.
	* Telnetted to a near host.  Read news, logged out.
	* Tried to ftp to ftp.freebsd.org.  Rebooted before I got
	connected.

	* After reboot, started pppd again.
	* Repeated the ping tests, all seemed OK.
	* FTP'd to a couple of hosts, on the fourth or
	fifth one, reboot.

	* After reboot, started pppd.
	* Pinged a couple of hosts.
	* Tried ftp using IP address instead of hostname.
	* While typing the command to ftp to the second host,
	the system rebooted.  This is the first time that it rebooted
	while I was typing.  I don't know if that is relavent or not.

I'm pretty sure that it's in the ppp code, because I only run ppp a few
hours a day, and it only reboots while pppd is running.

I have GOT to get this fixed.  I'd hate to back out to 2.0-RELEASE, but
I'll do so if necessary.  This machine is going to be put into
production mode in less than four weeks.

Could there possibly be something in my kernel config that's to blame?
Hardware config is as follows:

	486DX2-66 VESA local bus 32MB RAM
	Buslogic BT-445S (VESA LB)
	Cirrus 5426 (VESA LB)