Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 15:03:07 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Stuart Krivis <stuart@apk.net>, "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        phil grainger <freebsd@pronet.net.au>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: copyright

At 10:55 AM -0400 6/12/98, Stuart Krivis wrote:
>On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Jason C. Wells wrote:
>
>> FreeBSD-advocacy is in it's infancy. Advocacy hasn't really even
>> formed yet. Currently, it is merely a mailing list.
>
> I believe that advocacy consists of things like:
>
> "I use this ______ (fill in blank) and am very happy with it."

I still think this mailing list suffers from the name that was
given to it.  In usenet heirarchies, the "advocacy" newsgroup
is where to send all the endless philosophical discussions, or
name-calling, or platform-religion topics that no sane person
wants in the "real" usenet discussions.  It is, by definition,
a garbage-collection of topics.

Here, the advocacy mailing list is meant to be a serious list
with a real purpose:  figuring out how to make FreeBSD more
acceptable to more people, and how to connect with people who
would be well-served by running FreeBSD (if they only knew
more about it to try it out).

So, I think this is a bad name for a serious mailing list, but
even after a few weeks of thinking about an alternate name I
haven't thought of anything which would be notably better...

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute