Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 02:50:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bin/12767: Expand /etc/ttys manpage

The following reply was made to PR bin/12767; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To: Peter Jeremy <jeremyp@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:47:24 +0200

 On Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:41:48 +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:

 > Actually, I'd assume that (in the absence of evidence to the contrary),
 > where an arbitrary command string is allowed, that string was passed
 > to system(3) (or something functionally similar) for execution.

 > I currently have a situation where I'd prefer to launch something from
 > init so it'll automatically get restarted if it dies.  This isn't as
 > easy from rc.* (I'd need to wrap it in another process that just
 > re-exec'd it if it died - init already does this and comes with
 > assorted sanity checks).

 Hmmm. I'm convinced on both counts.

 I'm still not happy with the fact that your diff leads the manpage to
 repeat itself.

 Here's a deal: if I can come up with a diff that I prefer over yours by
 next Tuesday, I'll send it. Otherwise, we'll assume I can't do any
 better than you can and use yours. ;-)

 And yes, if I come up with something, I'll pass it by you for approval.

 Ciao,
 Sheldon.