Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 21:10:45 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        brian@Awfulhak.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, jak@cetlink.net, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tickadj -t not changing tick

[Follow-up-to pointed at freebsd-mobile]

> >Hmm, I have a timer problem with a Compaq Presario (notebook).  It
> >seems that the timer chip (i8254 is the only one probed) is acting a
> >big strangely and returning ``past'' times - this is disastrous at
> >the start of a programs life as it tends to exceed the maximum
> >runtime (all set correctly to infinity in login.conf) and result in a
> >sig 24.
>
> It can't be a problem with the i8254 hardware, because the i8254
> timecounter never goes backwards (if the hardware goes backwards,
> then the timecounter jumps forwards).
>
> >The laptop:
> >
> >: FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT #10: Tue Jul 14 10:02:00 BST 1998
> >:     brian@woof.lan.awfulhak.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/WOOF
> >: Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz  cost 1296 ns
> >: CPU: Cyrix GXm (17.09-MHz 586-class CPU)
> >:   Origin = "CyrixInstead"  Id = 0x540  Stepping=0  DIR=0x3346
> >:   Features=0x808131<FPU,TSC,MSR,CX8,CMOV,MMX>
> >: real memory  = 33554432 (32768K bytes)
> >: avail memory = 30597120 (29880K bytes)
> >
> >This is *really* a 233MHz chip.
>
> APM seems to be preventing use of the TSC timecounter.  Otherwise
> the clock would go non-backwards 233/17 faster :-).

Well, you're right about apm & the tsc counter.  If I remove apm, I get
the TSC counter back.... *but* my clock *zoooms* along - at what
visually looks like around 10 times the speed.

Setting the tsc timecounter to 233000000 via sysctl normalises the
time again :-I

Unfortunately, I'm still seeing the sig24 avoidance stuff that I did,
so something's still going backwards :-(

Additionally, the apm controller is misbehaving - so all this may be
a result of that.  It's one of those nasty pci-come-isa jobs (VLSI
82C146, 5 mem & 2 i/o windows), and no matter what I do, I can't get
it to notice the pccard's irq.

I've tried manually assigning irq 12 (rather than 3) to the
controller by tweaking pccard.c but it makes no difference.  The card
is functional in my old laptop and has a hard-coded irq 10 in
pccard.conf - and I know irq 12 is free for the controller (I'm not
sure about irq 3 'cos there's a built-in modem that I haven't been
able to find i/o address-wise yet) :-/

I know it's an irq problem because if I ``ping -c2'', I get
everything back in one go at the end.  Any other ping results in
nothing.  arps work and dns (udp?) works very slowly.

Anyone know if the PAO stuff might address this ?  Is there a
-current version of PAO ?

> Bruce

TIA anyone.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;