Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 16:43:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp (Kazutaka YOKOTA), jedgar@fxp.org, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP + XDM = keyboard lockup

:3)	Why does it only happen in SMP?
:
:					Terry Lambert
:					terry@lambert.org

    I'm sure the answer to #3 is simply that the startup order winds up
    being different w/SMP due to there being two cpu's.

    I've had the X/keyboard/getty problem occur on UP machines and, in fact
    one of my first UP machines had this race condition unknowingly and
    *never* had a failure, but the same configuration on a faster UP box a
    little later led to the getty winning the race and I spent a few hours
    scratching my head trying to figure out what was wrong with X :-)

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>