Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 21:17:26 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        Richard Puga <puga@mauibuilt.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: whats up with vinum?

On Sunday, 21 November 1999 at  4:40:54 -1000, Richard Puga wrote:
> I am fooling around with vinum which I have set up in a raid 5
> configuration under FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE.
>
> The trouble is that my machine keeps locking up under heavy use. If I
> try and "make world" it dies about 15-60 seconds into it whit a page
> fault as well as trying to ftp over large files and somtimems while
> trying to build kernels.

If you have problems with Vinum, please read what it says at the end
of vinum(4) in the section DEBUGGING PROBLEMS WITH VINUM.  You can
also read it at and http://www.lemis.com/vinum/how-to-debug.html, and
you should normally check known bugs at
http://www.lemis.com/vinum/bugs.html.

> After several page faults and fsck's on reboot I will loose an entire
> drvie. It is marked as "stale"m by vinum and more than once has lost its
> disklabel.
>
> I am now using ccd level 0 but would like to use vinum raid 5 if
> possable.

With the information you supply, it's difficult to tell.  It could be
a known problem: we do have one outstanding problem with RAID-5.  To
quote the man page:

     4.   The RAID-5 functionality is new in FreeBSD 3.3.  Some problems have
          been reported with vinum in combination with soft updates, but these
          are not reproducible on all systems.  If you are planning to use
          vinum in a production environment, please test carefully.

> PS; anyone thinking of playing with vinum I suggest you dont start out
> with 4 18 gig drives ..:)

If you make these suggestions, you should say why.  I don't know of
any problems.  What have you had?  Maybe they are related to your
panics.

Greg