Date:      Wed, 15 Jun 2011 07:12:40 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: doscmd under 8-stable, anyone?

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 03:57:05PM +0200, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> When trying to use doscmd on 8-stable, all I get is:
>
> Error mapping HMA, HMA disabled: : Invalid argument
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> The segfault happens at the end of mem_init(), when the allocated DOS
> memory (which is located at virtual address 0) is attempted to be
> written to.  Apparently, the mmap() failure that causes the "HMA
> disabled" message is actually a fatal error rather than a benign one
> the could be ignored, as it results in no valid DOS memory allocation
> at all.
>
> Right now, the only older system I could test it against uses FreeBSD
> 5.x, where the mmap() works as expected.  So does anyone have an idea
> why this mmap() call:
>
>     if (mmap((caddr_t)0x000000, 0x100000,
>                    PROT_EXEC | PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE,
>                    MAP_ANON | MAP_FIXED | MAP_SHARED,
>                    -1, 0) == MAP_FAILED) {
>         perror("Error mapping HMA, HMA disabled: ");
>         HMA_a20 = -1;
>         close(HMA_fd_off);
>         close(HMA_fd_on);
>         return;
>     }
>
> yields an EINVAL now under 8-stable?

Based on what I can determine from the mmap(2) man page:

  MAP_FIXED         Do not permit the system to select a different address
                    than the one specified.  If the specified address can-
                    not be used, mmap() will fail.  If MAP_FIXED is speci-
                    fied, addr must be a multiple of the pagesize.  If a
                    MAP_FIXED request is successful, the mapping estab-
                    lished by mmap() replaces any previous mappings for the
                    process' pages in the range from addr to addr + len.
                    Use of this option is discouraged.

  [EINVAL]          MAP_FIXED was specified and the addr argument was not
                    page aligned, or part of the desired address space
                    resides out of the valid address space for a user
                    process.

I imagine that the page size ordeal is probably what's biting you.  Now,
I'm not sure if page size in that above context refers to "kernel page
size" (e.g. hw.pagesizes or hw.pagesize) or if it refers to "a page of
memory" as in what libc/malloc uses.

I'm not sure why a person would need or want MAP_FIXED in this
situation; why can't they just take the result of mmap() (a void *) and
use that as a base address offset instead of assuming zero in their
software?

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |
| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |