Date:      12 Aug 1998 17:00:50 +0100
From:      freebsd-net-list@salford.ac.uk
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 net performance and panic with 1000's of sockets open

In article <6pl4lk$a51$3@ocean.cup.hp.com>, Rick Jones <foo@bar.baz> wrote:
>Mark Powell (mark@nospam.salford.ac.uk) wrote:
>: I thought I had the extensions on, but with netperf I can't get more
>: than ~64Mbits/sec.
>
>: net.inet.tcp.rfc1323: 1
>: net.inet.tcp.rfc1644: 1
>
>I think Steinar meant ttcp the benchmark, not T/TCP the TCP protocol
>extensions. As for netperf only getting 64 Mbit/s, it would help if
>you could do a cut and paste of your command lines so we can see the
>parameters used in the neteprf test.

Didn't realise there was much to netperf. Start on server:

$ netserver -P 9999

On client:

$ netperf -H <server> -p 9999

If I use:

$ route -n change <server> -recvpipe 65536 -sendpipe 65536

On the client, I've seen 73Mbit/s.
If I do a UDP_STREAM I get 95.8Mbit/s.

>: Yeah, the performance of the web caching software. Looks like the
>: squid stuff is pretty poorly optimised?
>
>Not sure if it will be at all germane, but you might look at:
>
>   ftp://ftp.cup.hp.com/dist/networking/briefs/

Most of it not applicable, but I may try some squid/kernel profiling
to see what it's doing.
Cheers.

--
Mark Powell - System Administrator (UNIX) - Clifford Whitworth Building
A.I.S., University of Salford, Salford, Manchester, UK.