Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2007 14:35:28 +0100
From:      Vince <jhary@unsane.co.uk>
To:        Emmanuel Mie <manumie@yahoo.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Broadcom WLAN on HP dv9000 (re: Dell Inspiron 640m)

Emmanuel Mie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have exactly the same problem on a Dell Inspiron 640m (proc : Core2Duo T5500).
>
> I downloaded the 32-bit windows drivers, converted it with ndisgen (following this tutorial (in French) http://oregnier.developpez.com/cours/unix/freebsd/wificard/?page=page_3#L3.2 )
> Ndisgen worked just fine, generating bcmwl5_sys.ko with no error at all.
>
> When I try to kldload it, I get a kernel panic and the same errors as "BSDUser", although I don't know how to redirect the output (kldload bcmwl5_sys.ko > logfile resulted in an empty file).
>
> I tried to kldload ndis and if_ndis before loading bcmwl5_sys.ko, same errors.
>
> Is there a way to get this device working on my computer, or should I switch back to some evil OS ;-) ?

The 640m I have uses the intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG which uses a driver
in development here [http://www.clearchain.com/wiki/Wpi]
and the Dell site still says it uses this chip (on the other hand their
site says they have changed the graphics card since I got mine so it
could well be different.)

Vince