Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 16:00:42 -0400
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk
Cc:        sean@dreamfire.net, stable@freebsd.org, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net
Subject:   Re: AMD PCnet 10/100 PCI usability

> >I have a PCnet 10/100 adapter built onto my motherboard (PC Server 325),
> >and FreeBSD picks it up as "lnc1." The damned thing got 3-4k/sec
> >transfers at the most. It appeared to not be negotiating with the hub
> >correctly.

> Yup, they can fail to autonegotiate.

I've been having problems with an older Tulip board on a non-standard
system.  It first appeared to be an autonegotiation problem but on
closer inspection it was revealed that my buggy PCI BIOS isn't DTRT
and interrupts aren't getting set up properly.  No interrupts, no
autoselect...

Good Luck,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net