Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2018 17:12:13 +0100
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>, freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: syncing bhyve instances

tech-lists wrote on 2018/01/22 16:45:
> Hello lists,
>
> If I have two bhyve hosts, production [p] and reserve [r], and on both
> there are identical guest[s] [1] and [2], what is the best way to sync
> the guests? What's the best tool?
>
> 1. would syncing the guests from the host work? (in other words, running
> some kind of tool like say rsync on the host work?). What about the
> internal state of the guest? Could rsync account for changes in its
> internal state?
>
> 2. or would it be better to run a tool like rsync inside each guest?
>
> 3. is there a better tool for this than rsync?

It is too vague question. But if you just want poor mans replication I
would go with ZFS (send + receive) from host p to r in few minutes
intervals.
Of course it will not help you with internal states of running VMs. It
will just sync filesystems in better way than rsync. (if you have ZFS)

Miroslav Lachman